Pages

17 October 2011

Knoll Furniture

Photo property of 2modern.com
While Knoll* is known for their furniture and influence on modern design, it seems that there is a lot more talk about Herman Miller. From what I've seen, it seems that Herman Miller has simply kept itself in the forefront by placement in the market place, progressive design, and keeping a tighter hold on mid-century/atomic design. That being said, I'm not saying Herman Miller doesn't deserve it. They do! They really are a high quality forward thinking company that has seemingly stayed true to their roots and philosophies. The respect they have is well warranted.

Photo source:
http://www.aisleone.net/2010/design/mid-century-knoll-ads/
While I've been trying to find out why there is...seemingly, more talk about Herman Miller than Knoll*, I ran across a number of articles and videos that helped me appreciate Knoll* more than I originally did. Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you with a ton of links to other articles. However, I would like to share a video that I found on youtube of a Knoll* event about Eero Saarinen and some of his design.  Reality being, if you understand the history of a company or design, you can appreciate it just a bit better.

This video helped realized that Knoll*, while their logo is less cool than the 50's and 60's, is still a company that has had a huge part in the Mid-Century Modern genre. Don't get me wrong. I've studied MCM design* long enough to know who where the big players. Still, if you don't here much about a company for a long time, then you tend to forget about them a bit more.

Frequently people talk online about furniture and designs by famous designers and the influence their design had on the world. Yet, a lot of times, very little mention is made of the companies that made these designers concepts become reality. While the designing is a pain staking process that demands respect for completion, equal respect is due to the companies that back and promote the products so that they sell.

So, here's the video, enjoy.



YLiving Free Shipping

Fathers Day 728x90

No comments: